Use these instructions to help you complete the Taney
Straight Stair Order Form .
Use the Pre-built Stair Layouts
to determine the Type of Straight Stair you are ordering.
Consult your Local Building Code to determine Code
Refer to Fig. I and Fig. J
- Height - measure top of finished lower
floor to top of finished upper floor in inches.
- Well Hole Opening - measure the opening for the
stair - header to header.
- Head Room - measure ceiling to top of finished
floor - minimum of 80 inches.
- Total Run - the horizontal distance covered by
the entire stairway.
- Run - measure face of riser to face of riser
- does NOT include nose. (Rough cut of tread.)
- Box Width - measure outside of stringer to outside
- Open Width - measure outside of stringer to outside
of stringer (normally 3" wider [per open side] than
box width for standard 4 1/2" finished wall.
- Length of Wall, Right Side - on part open stairs
- Length of Wall, Left Side - on part open stairs
You may also need to determine:
- Number of Risers - count the number of risers.
For a standard 8-ft. ceiling, the count will be either
14 or 13, with the individual rise falling between 7"
and 8 1/4". Check your local code.
- Rise - Individual riser height (from top of tread
to top of tread).
- Nose - the portion of the tread protruding beyond
the face of the riser
- Brackets - the decorative pieces fastened to
the outside of the stringer
Material Species (for Stringers/Treads/Risers)
||"C" & Better
||#2 & Better